Question
Posted by: confused | 2004/11/11

too young and fat for kneereplacement

hi doc,
i am 48 years old and obese and in need of knee-replacement.
Seven years ago, when i was ideal weight, my doc said that i am still too young for a replacement and should try and live with my sore knees for few more years. Now i am obese because i am not so active as i used to be and my knees are hurting. My doc tells me now, that i am too heavy and must loose weight first. I am really confused now!!! What is the ideal weight and can a knee-replacement be done on an overweight person (132kg)???Please help. My left knee is making my life hel. Thanks.

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Confused
Unfortunately you need to be as close to your ideal body weight as possible before they will consider an operation. The reason for this is that your knees carry your whole weight and it will be senseless to do a knee replacement operation when there will be the added strain of overweight on them. Please ask your doctor what he considers to be the most acceptable weight for you and try and get there as quickly as possible. It would be more sensible to go to a structured weight loss group like Weight Watchers and lose weight. You will find that you will have less pain if your weight drops. Please try weight loss- you are very young and it is much healthier all over to be a little slimmer.
Good luck!

1
Posted by: QueenZiggy | 2004/12/08

Too young depends on how much pain and degeneration of joint. I am 45 years old and had my left knee replaced at age 42. I am not my ideal weight as I can understand how weight creeps on as one does less and less because of pain. I do see a dietician who helps me control my weight and swimming also is ok for knee problems and pain as it is non weight bearing. Good luck and hopefully you will find a solution.

Reply to QueenZiggy