Question
Posted by: Cat Lady | 2007/12/08

Too Old at 68 for Face Lift?

I had two anti ageing treatments, one with a machine that sucked and pulled - made no difference - and the other with 3 weekly deep cream treatments course for 15 days. My skin looks more moist but in comparison with my peers I have a lot of wrinkles and also a drooping eyelid on the left hand side of my face. I used to be a "sun baby" and I suppose I am now being punished for such. I had a blepharostophy at age 50 which lasted well until now but the last year was a hard one on me with lots of trauma. Am I too old and too vain to have something done? I don't want to start with Botox as it is just a temporary thing. y husband thinks I am an idiot for even entertainng the idea but it is really bothering me. I am in good shape otherwise, slim and also colour my hair discreetly.

Your advice would be very much appreciated.

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hello ‘Cat Lady’, thank you for the question and I am sorry to hear about the hard year you have experienced.

If one is in good health and there are no contraindications to surgery, there should be no reason why you cannot undergo a facelift.
To get the best out of your surgery, my advice would be to consider a coarse of skin rejuvenation (my personal preference is the Syneron IPL/Bi-Polar Radiofrequency) combined with the Syneron Matrix IR Non-Ablative wrinkle removal.
The reason behind this is one can get a great result following surgery, but the sun damage, texture, and general health and elasticity of the skin will need to be addressed.

I feel obliged to write a short answer to your question about vanity:
A well known dermatologist performed a number of studies, looking at the emotional and psychological effects of cosmetic procedures (both surgical and non-surgical).
The overall improvements on these ‘states-of-mind’, was so significant, that he found it also had an add-on effect to one’s general health. At a recent congress, Dr Jean Carruthers, stated that following these studies “we should view cosmetic procedures as a necessity, rather than vanity”!
I am a firm believer that if one can afford it, use all the technological advances that are available at one’s disposal (as long as they have been shown with medical studies that they work). With the correct treatment choices the end result should be that you not only look younger, but feel it too.