Question
Posted by: marsh | 2007/06/03

too much water

i am 100lbs and abt 5'4.lately i started taking alot of water abt 5 glasses a day.this makes me really go to the toilet to pee. i hav started avoiding water bt am still goin to the loo especially at night.is it that this water is too much for my body?

Dear Marsh
Drinking 5 glasses of water a day in addition to all your other liquids you ingest, will cause an increase in urination. However, if you still have to urinate more frequently than normal now that you have stopped drinking additional water, this could be an indication of a urinary tract infection. If it persists and if you find that your urine burns, then it would be advisable to see a medical dr so that he/she can check if you have an infection or not. If the figures you have given me for your weight and height are correct, then you seem to be underweight with a BMI of 17,4, which is below the normal range. If you were drinking the extra water to lose more weight, then please don't do this because you actually need to gain some weight to get back into the normal range.