Question
Posted by: Ray-Jay | 2004/01/14

Too much muscle?

Dear Doc.

I would like to build up some muscle. I am 58kg and 1.66m (small frame)(male, 24). I just want to know is it possible to build up to much muscle for a particular bone structure? In which case the person developes joint and bone problems in the long turm due to the stress placed on them? Please relpy at your convenience.

Hi Ray-Jay

It is possible to become 'overstrong' if you use artificial means of increasing the strength, but usually there are mechanisms in place to protect this from happening. It's been heard that some weight lifters have actually torn muscle from the tendon or bone when lifting very heavy weights, because the usual reflex control that prevents the muscle from being overexerted is bypassed, or malfunctions. NOw, this applies to actually lifting, whereas you are referring to becoming strong 'chronically'. The same would apply - I don't think that in a lifetime of lifting and training you would be able to become this strong - there are limits and I do think that they are well below what is possible by means of any normal training.

The exception is in young people whose bones are still growing, because here, excessive muscle growth can cause stunted growth, so that's one area to look out for. But once the bone has stopped growing (late teens) it's not really possible.

1
Posted by: Ray-Jay | 2004/01/15

In that case I will continue my training with great confidence.
Thanks for the info.

Reply to Ray-Jay