Question
Posted by: helen | 2005/11/17

too much milk?

I know the saying goes that too much of anything is not good, but I would like to know whether too much milk could be bad - especially for young children and teenagers. My children (8 and 13) drink milk the way their friends drink cooldrink. Especially after exercise. I also prefer milk to any other drink. We easily go through 2-3 liters per day. We switched to fat-free milk, and we are all quite healthy, but I still don't know whether the high intake could be harmful in the short or long term.

Dear Helen
Children below the age of 13 years, need more calcium than adults namely about 1300 mg per day. Because milk and dairy products are the best source of readily available calcium, and milk contains a bit more than 1 mg of calcium per ml, they can certainly drink up to say 3 glasses of 300 ml each (providing 900 mg of calcium) a day, i.e. about 1 litre each. It is a good idea to use fat-free milk as this reduces the saturated fat and energy intake.
Enjoy