Question
Posted by: Littlewing | 2004/10/25

Too much gas!

I have a 4 month old staffie pup (male) which has got extreme wind problems. He smells really bad and doesnt stop the whole day. He is an inside dog so it is a problem for us when he passes wind.
I dont know what to do about him. Im feeding him normal dog food, he gets no tit bits from us and especially no milk products.
Please help.

The best thing you can do for him is to obtain a premium quality diet from your veterinarian, or a diet premium formulated for dogs with intestinal problems. Sometimes a short course of antibiotics may also help to get some of the gas forming bacteria and control. Digestibility of the premium dogfood is generally much higher than the supermarket type diets, and may help control the gas forming bacteria.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

3
Posted by: Pi | 2004/10/26

I use FartEeze for my male doberman, get it from the vet, it also helps.

Reply to Pi
Posted by: Chill | 2004/10/25

Do what Acineth says... and go get some activated charcoal tablets from your chemist/health food store, and sneak one into his food. Sometimes that absorbs the odour!

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Acineth | 2004/10/25

Try changing the brand of food he eats. There is probably a prescription diet, but these are very expensive and maybe just a change to a different food will help.

Reply to Acineth