Question
Posted by: HKY | 2007/06/25

Too Much

I've been divorced now for 18 months, I just can't seem to move on, I have been for counselling, but can't afford any more sessions, I had 8 sessions and can't say it made any differrence, I can't stay focused, I have lost all my motivation and inner drive, my work has been affected in a bad way, although I'm divorced for 18 months I still spend most of my day thinking of my ex, which makes me angry and depressed, I can't control my thoughts into a differrent direction. I have a lot of anger that has built up over the last 18 months and don't know how to deal with this and just move, I have been totaly devated by her leaving as we had never had any issues other than those that most relationships go through so I can't make sense of all of this, we had been a couple for 20 years and married for 12 years. I just feel things are getting worse from day to day and not better. How do I control my thoughts and get rid of all the anger, 18 months is a long time maybe not enough to deal with everything but this all becoming too much.

Sorry to ehar that your counsellor was apparently so ineffective. perhaps he/she wasn't using the best available method ( CBT, according to loads of good research ) so wasn't likely to produce useful early results. With CBT I would have expected good progress within 8 sessions. Have you tried discussing this on the divorce support forum, or finding some realtime support group locally ?

1
Posted by: Echelle | 2007/06/25

Remember that 20 years is a long time. You got used to the fact that she was there everyday and you shared a lot of things together. Get yourself a hobby and socialize with friends or something to get your mind off of things. Have you ever heard of thunderboltcity, I thought it was a stupid site at first, but you can really meet nice people there, friends or maybe more than friends, but meet new people, do other things than what you're used to.

Reply to Echelle