Question
Posted by: Susan | 2006/10/30

Too many vitamins & not enough calcium?

Thank you very much for your response to my daily needs query earlier on. You are really a very helpful and wise person.

Just some additional queries:

Is it possible to take in too many vitamins, minerals, calcium, etc? Although I eat pretty balanced meals, I drastically cut my dairy due to sinus problems (at the recommendation of my doctor - and the sinusitis is gone!), and cut out bread/flour and sugar intake, limiting fruits to only a cup of strawberries a day, while increasing green vegetables. I started taking Vital's Multivatimin with Primrose Oil and B6 in the morning, and 3 calcium pills before bedtime. Am I supplementing on vitamins and minerals where it's not necessary, and could it be harmful to "over-supplement"? Also, do I get enough calcium? I'm 50 and not yet menopausal. Is there a capsule/pill that would include everything in one go so that I don't have to take a handful of pills per day?

Dear Susan
Thank you so much for your kind words. It is possible to ingest too much vit A, and vit D, which could cause so-called hypervitaminosis, so check that your Multivitamins supply 100% or less than the RDA of vits A and D per dose. If they supply more, then only take them every second day. As an adult woman you need 1000 mg of calcium per day, so check on the label of your calcium pills to see if the 3 pills a day provide you with at least 900 mg a day, seeing that you have cut back on your intake of calcium-rich foods for the sinus. Your Multivitamin already contains B6, so you could cut that out Primrose Oil (which is a source of omega-6 fatty acids which anyone eating a western diet does not need - we get enough from our margarine and oils anyway). If your multivitamin product contains omega-6 (the Primrose oil) and does not contain any omega-3 fatty acids, then you actually need to take Salmon oil capsules to redress the balance between omega-6 and omega-3. Most multivitamin and mineral supplements do not provide the full 1000 mg of calcium per day, so it is usually necessary to take extra calcium pills in addition to the multivits and minerals. When you have completed taking your present product, look for a multivitamin and mineral supplement like Centrum or Supradyn Forte that does not contain primrose oil (omega-6).