Question
Posted by: Jasmine | 2006/04/05

Too little food?

I have put on 4kg within the last 2-3 motnhs. I went to a dietician and she told me that my food intake isn't enough so my body is going into starvation mode and that is why I have put on weight. Would you consider this too little food:
Breakfast
Big bowl (2 cups) of All Bran with jungle oats sprinkled on top with fat free/low fat milk.
Snack at 10.30
1 apple
Lunch
3-4 slices cold meat, table spoon cottage cheese, salad i.e. tomatoes, lettuce, peppers
Snatck at 3pm
1 Orange/Banana
Dinner
1 portion protein i.e. chicken breast with vegies, no carb type vegies though.
If I'm still peckish I may have a handful of nuts/dried fruit/cup of cocao
8-10 glasses of water a day.

Dear Jasmine
I agree with your dietitian that your body is probably switching off its weight loss systems. The food intake you describe still avoids most carbs and does not contain sufficient milk or dairy products to provide you with sufficient calcium. I'm sure the dietitian gave you a diet and explained the correct portion sizes, so give it a try and see if you don't lose weight. Also keep in mind that you can promote weight loss by doing exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life) for at least 30 min a day.