Question
Posted by: Lee | 2007/03/13

Too fat for yoga

I have always been interested in yoga and have gone to a couple of classes. I found that everybody was very thin and i am big so is it possible to do yoga when you are still obese or do you have to wait till after you have lost the weight. Will yoga assist in losing weight?

Expert ImageYoga

Hi Lee - yoga can lead to weight loss but more importantly it tones the body, increases awareness and allows subtle physical, mental and emotional changes to take place which generally lead to a greater sense of well being and confidence. Yoga is accessible to anyone, irrespective of age, condition, fitness, flexibility, strength, etc - its all about the relative journey that you make and not about whether the people next to you are thinner or more flexible. Some yoga places tend to lead to self selection i.e. with the same types of people tending to remain committed to a regular practise but over time the benefits you will gain are enormous so I would encourage you not to let anything stand in the way of that - you are alone on that mat.
Good luck.
Chris

2
Posted by: melanie | 2007/03/13

meant to say.. although i havent lost lots of weight....
have toned and firmed up etc etc

Reply to melanie
Posted by: melanie | 2007/03/13

HI Lee are you fm parenting forum by any chance??
I am about 15 kg overweight and also at first felt like i couldnt do it. I have been going to yoga for a year now and although i have lost lots of weight i have definitely toned and firmed up - big difference in my body. I have also found yoga much easier as i have become more supple etc
Keep going and dont give up - you wont regret it.
my class also has a lot of thin ladies but it doesnt worry me. sometimes they also battle with certain positions.
i have also found that i have a bigger awareness now to be healthy and although i am not a health freak by any means i am eating better, drinking more water and trying to change my "ways" Yoga has just given me a whole new awareness

Reply to melanie