Question
Posted by: stella | 2004/03/03

tonsils removal at 49

I have been unwell for the past three monnts, with recurring flu-like symptoms. After consulting a G P, pulmonologist, and physician, and using a whole range of antibiotics to no avail, I went to an ENT. He has diagnozed tonsillitis and says that that they will have to be removed. He prescribed Augmentin, and although I've finished the course, I'm still developing a fever daily. I know how painful the recovery period can be and wonder if the operation can be done by laser and whether this might lesen the pain and the recovery time.

Stella, I would get a second opinion if I were you. It is unlikely that your GP, a specialist physician and a pulmonologist will miss tonsillitis. Maybe the best would be to ask the specialist physician what he thinks about it and to ask him for the referral for the second opinion if he thinks it is necessary. Let me know what they said and we’ll take it from there. Good luck.