Question
Posted by: Tweety | 2007/04/19

Tonsillitus

About 2 months ago I developed tonsillitus, since then I've been on 3 courses antibiotics. Each time they medication sooths the symptomes, but after a week or two they re-appear. What should happen next? Must they be removed via operation? And what is the possible risks involved in an operation. (I'm 30 years old) Is there an alternative for an operation?

Hallo Tweety
Maybe you did not take the antibiotics long enough - one should actually take it for 10 days to 2 weeks. The tonsils have deep crypts ( tunnels) and some of the bacteria may be stuck there! Also try using Tonsollyte or Tonsilla homeopathic tablets every hour or so - you can buy over the counter at any pharmacy ( Natura product)
We usually feel that if a patient gets more than 3 infections in a year he or she can have it removed - but it is still your choice. In grownups it can be sore and the operation more difficult as there could be more scar tissue, risk of bleeding post operative is higher.