Question
Posted by: Jas | 2007/03/08

TONSILLECTOMY

Hello

I had my tonsils removed almost 3 months ago and I am still unable to taste anything. When I had my check up after the op, my doc said that it could be due to post nasal drip and that I should gargle with salt & bicarb water. I did so, it has made no difference. (I must mention that I can smell 100%) Further, in the last month, I have this permanent disgusting bitter taste coming from the back of my throat. It sort of makes makes everything at the back of my mouth and throat feel numb and like it is coated with something. It is really vile and it also makes my breath smell really really bad!! I am hoping you will be able to help me with this and I thank you in anticipation of your response.

Dear Jas
Bad breath always accompanies healing and persists for two to three weeks. It is not uncommon to notice an abnormal taste or even loss of taste for four to six weeks. However yours has been going on for a bit long and you probably have an infection that needs antibiotics - ask your GP to have a look ( he will probably prescribe a combination of broad spectrum antibiotic and Flagyl for 10 days if you are not allergic to anything)

1
Posted by: hunnybear | 2007/03/08

Hi there, my daughter had her op last Thursday and I must tell you she has bad breath but her's smells like someone who has a fever...I don't know if this is the smell you're talking about?? a very sharp smell...I can't handle it....I'd like to see CD's repsonse to this question....I'm surprised bicarb/salt water hasn't helped?? My aunt told me to do the same for my daughter, but she's only 5yrs and doesn't know how to gargle....
:)

Reply to hunnybear