Question
Posted by: Jay | 2007/04/11

Toning Weights

Hello Doc,
What weights are regarded as Toning Weights??
I mean I am overweight, advised to do more Cardio.
My Body fat % is 30%, if I'm using dumbells, What is the Maximum Weight should I use??
Is it true that if U are overweight && U push quite heavy weight,
one's body fat % will increase??
Your help is greatly appreciated.

Hi Jay

Toning weights are difficult to pin down exactly - there's no single figure I can give you that would consitute this. BUt the idea is that if you want to tone the muscle, then you need to lift a relatively lighter weight, more often. This is opposed to if you want to bulk up and build muscle, then you would lift a heavy weight, but fewer times (out of necessity, because it's so heavy). The point is that it's all relative - your heavy weight might easily be another person's toning weight, so there's no simple answer to say just lift x kilograms.

What I think you should then do is make sure that the weight you lift is one that you can lift at least 25 times before fatigue, and then do 3 sets of about 15 reps with that weight. That should give you more or less the right weight.

To answer your next question, no it's not true, but it is still better to lift lighter weights, more often, for the reasons I gave above. Finally, cardio is the way to go, and so make sure you are doing enough of that to make a difference.

Ross