Question
Posted by: bets | 2003/01/17

Toning & Fat

I have started going back to gym after an absence of about 4 months. I have also started a Weighless programme. I have been on this now for 2 weeks. I have been trying to go to gym doing various excercise programmes - spinning being my favorite.
On my first week of weighing at W/less I gained .6kg. the group leader said this was because I was back at gym and that muscle is heavier than fat. Is this true?? I have now been going to gym almost everday for the last two weeks and I can feel it in my clothing that I am firming up - I weigh again on Saturday and we shall see.

Another thing, I think I have always had bad knees, they "squeek" sometimes and when I do a lot of jumping around or spinning, I find that I must take an anti-inflamatory and then I can get out of bed!! But it is getting better slowly. What sort of exercises would you suggest for bad knees?

HI

Yes, muscle does weigh more than fat and also when you start exercising regularly, your blood volume can increase by up to a litre. I strongly recommend that you focus more on your body measurements rather than the scale, which actually gives you VERY LIMITED information. Every day, your weight can vary by up to 1 - 2kg!

Keep up the regular exercise - since this is a great option. Regarding your knees, I strongly recommend you see a sports physician to see why they are "bad?" It depends what is actually wrong with them and how the problem can be sorted out. Not dealing with the problem could worsen it considerably.

Good luck!