Question
Posted by: magda | 2004/09/21

Toning

I'm within my ideal weight range (1.64m at 56kg, female) but I am struggeling to get my legs toned. I will never have long slim legs but I would like to tone the ones I have as best I can. I am really thin in my upper body and would not want to lose a lot more in that area. What is the best way to get toned, referring now to the combination of weights and cardio? Also, is the super circuit a good way to get some weight training?

thanks

Hi Magda

You need to have a lot of patience to start with! You see, the goal you are setting for yourself is very difficult to achieve, and many many people struggle with this. What I can say is that it is possible through hard work, but it must be sustained - it's not going to happen in a few weeks or even months. It's likely that you will need to train consistently for a period of more than a year and then you will see success.

My advice is to consider cycling, running or the stairclimbing as far as cardio goes. I am guessing that you have access to the gym, which makes this quite easy, but if you can get out on the road, now that summer is on us, cycling and running are good, quick options - you need 45 minutes to an hour and go out and train!

As for the weight training, you will have access to the full range of equipment to train the legs if you are a gym. I would not go overboard, but I would definitely do the following exercises:

Calf raises (seated and standing)
Hamstring curls (lying and standing)
Leg extension machine
Squats
Lunges

Here, particularly with the calf raises and hamstring curls, I would suggest that you isolate each leg, and do 4 to 5 sets of 15 reps of each exercise. Remember, you don't need to use a huge weight, just use one that you can lift at least 15 times without feeling completely exhausted afterwards. If you start to strain after about 10 reps, then it's probably a little heavy.

I hope this helps and keep at it!