Question
Posted by: Malebo | 2006/04/06

Tongue Allergy

I'm having a strange allergic reaction on my tongue. On Saturday I had some flavoured speciality tea (Orange, honey and Ginger). within 20 minutes of drinking that tea, my tongue started burning terribly! I ignored the feeling, but by lunch time I couldn't even eat. On Sunday, the same thing happened, by then I was now on bran flakes and milk as they were the only things I could take. On Monday I just couldn't take it, my tongue started to swell and I had some light bleeding and I then went to the doctor who suspected allergic reaction to one of the ingredients which is "Hibiscus". Initially when I went to the doctor, my sense of taste was also gone, but now it is back, but the strange thing is that everything is terribly very hot (Burning/chillie) even the sweet things like chocolates are so hot! I am on medication for 5 days, but am terribly worried as I now have cereals for breakfast, lunch and supper - this is now the fourth day! Should I just wait for the fifth day or just go for second opinion? Please help. do other people react to this hibiscus as well?

Hi Malebo
Hang in there for a day or so - it may take a while to get better. You can also try eating Purity fruits and rinsing your mouth with Cepacaine to reduce the burning.