Question
Posted by: Dino | 2004/10/09

TOMATIS METHOD

Dear CS - do you know of a psychologist in Jo'burg, 4ways, who makes use of the Tomatis Method?

Dino, I have never really heard professionally of the Tomatis method, not have I seen any convincing evidence of its efficacy in dealing with any form of human problem. Some studies involving small numbers have been reported. I note that at www. tomatis. com, and there's a tomatis. net, and it is "Audio-Psycho-Phonology (APP)". promoted for dyslexia and autism, and related disorders, and that Amazon has books about it. It sounds like a method which might be useful, but which has been commercially promoted before enough scientfic research has been done to convince the healthcare community that it is truly beneficial. There are centers in the USA ( of course ), Canada, and Mexico, but only 8 centers in the world. He wrote much aboutn it, but most of his work has not been translated into English, and that which is, is only published by very minor and obscure publishers.
I gather that the technique involves the use of electronic equipment, and it doesn't seem to be used prinmarily by psychologists ( Dr Tomatis was an ENT doc, dabbling in psychological matters ). None of the sites list and center or practitioner in Africa, using the technique.
Although it would be enormously useful, I have found no reliable guide such as we need, for shrinks and indeed all healthcare professionals, as to who uses which methods or techniques.