Question
Posted by: Dee | 2006/11/12

Toilettraining

My 3.5mth old female pug is still doing her business in the hse. She even comes inside to do it after being outside. I have punished and praised to no avail. Pls help as I am starting to think about letting her live outside permanently. Can anyone give me plan to follow for toilettraining her?

If you have tried all else you may need to have a behaviour specialist help to resolve the problem.

2
Posted by: JV | 2006/11/13

Chill I understand what you are saying but mine ones do this. I do not use soap at all on the floor other than OMO or SURF so tht there is no wee smell that they will pick up with handy andy etc. They will come from outside and do it in the house. Or if they are not allowed in the TV room unless under an watchful eye they will do it when you have gone to the loo yourself or to get a cuppa. They will play or be locked outside but the moment they walk into the house the leg is up or the bottoms are down and then no2 comes. I have banned mine in the bedroom and the bathroom and lounge/dinning rooms. This leaves them with a small are to keep them busy. Week-ends are the worst. If i am at home i am mopping and cleaning after them all the time i want to kill them.
If i lock them outside for a time they start to bark and carry on and then the old neighbour complains, so i let them in and within 5 min in the house there is there business everywhere.

Reply to JV
Posted by: Chill | 2006/11/12

It takes a lot of relentless work - the thing is you have to get to her before she does it in the house EVERY TIME. If you watch carefully, you can predict when she wants to go - you drop everything and take her outside. You don't get time off - if you absolutely can't take it, then shut her in the kitchen or somewhere where you've put a heap of newspaper she can use.

Punishment doesn't do a thing, by the way. Praise when done right, ignore when wrong, and try to clean up without her watching. Also, disinfect the areas she likes to go inside, and use one of those odour-removers - I saw the other day that Dischem has quite a range of that kind of thing.

She'll learn eventually - some dogs are much faster than others. Don't give up... it's worth the effort in the end.

Reply to Chill