Question
Posted by: K | 2004/10/21

Toilets at work / public places

How many of you work for companies that don’t have what I term proper toilets.

To me a proper toilet has 4 brick walls and a door. All of those walls go RIGHT up to the ceiling and RIGHT down to the floor.

What is this business of having these flimsy little partitions with a foot to spare on both top and bottom.

I am sure there are many of you like me who try so hard not to go for a No 2 during the day but sometimes you just can’t help it. You sit there with a constant flow of traffic in and out, you just think you are in the clear, let go finish and as you leave the cubicle someone else either leaves the next one or comes in the door!

My therory is that management does it to stop people reading / sleeping the the loo ............

,,,,,

1
Posted by: Lucia | 2004/10/21

Ha ha ha - life is sometimes shitty aint it (excuse the pun).

In any case - interesting theory you have, but have to mention that I don't think it is the work of some evil boss trying to keep track of staff's movements, but unfortunately the Occupational Health and Safety Act (under building regualtions) states that the employer must provide one ablution facility per every 30 people and with a reasonable amount of privacy. According to that, the flimsy toilets you mention are regarded as "reasonable privacy". Four brick walls from floor to roof is regarded as "total privacy" and is not obligatory.

I would thus say that the existance of flimsy toilets has all to do with cost saving and little to do with preventing people from sleeping in the loo - who does something like that in any case - yuk !

Reply to Lucia