Question
Posted by: CINDY | 2004/11/04

TOILET

AT WORK WE ONLY ALLOWED 10 MIN OF TOILET TIME FOR THE WHOLE DAY. ONCE YOU EXCEED THE TIME A DOCTORS NOTE IS REQUIRED. WHERE CAN ONE GO TO IN ORDER TO GET HELP. THIS IS A VIOLATION OF ONES BASIC HUMAN RIGHT TO A TOILET FACILITY. THIS IS REALLY WORKING ON MY MIND. I CONSTANTLY ASK MYSELF WHY WOULD I ALLOW THIS TYPE OF ABUSE. SHOULD I BE HAPPY I HAVE A JOB AND LET IT GO OR SHOULD I FIGHT FOR WHAT I BELEIVE IN? WHAT DO YOU THINK? AM I MAKING TOO MUCH OF NOTHING?

Call the Dept of Labour, this is surely a breach of basic conditions of work laws. Maybe some people abused this facility, but the rule is ridiculous. Chelle may well be right that some petty tyrant is misinterpreting something they half-read, to your detriment. If I was a doctor asked for such an absurd certificate, I'd certify that in my expert opinion the executive or manager responsible for such a daft decision is in urgent need of a psychiatric assessmebnt.

7
Posted by: Chelle | 2004/11/04

Is it ALL staff, or staff of a specific manager? Do you have a HR dept that you could go to? If not, then I suggest you contact the Dept of Labour as Lucia said. It is definitely a violation of your rights.
They worry about you using the loo, and here you are surfing the web - shows how much knowledge these managers of yours have :)

Reply to Chelle
Posted by: cindy | 2004/11/04

yes it is a method of culculating productive time. but the staff is being abused and requested to bring a doctors note should they require more time.

Reply to cindy
Posted by: Lucia | 2004/11/04

Do you get "extra time" on the odd day that you might have the runs ? - Only joking, this is not right - you can complain at the Dept of Labour.

Reply to Lucia
Posted by: Chelle | 2004/11/04

Sounds like an average monitoring system which is used to calculate productive hours. I doubt whether most people on average actually do use more than 10 mins in a day at work.
Has your company specifically told you that you are not allowed to spend more than 10 mins per day?
Has there been an abuse of people standing in the toilets chatting or something?
The whole things sounds totally crazy, and I am sure that there is no way they can enforce something like that by law.
I think this was an estimate of the average time in the toilet and used for productivity calculations which someone has gotten hold of, and is now misinterpreting the info.
If anyone enforces this I am sure you can report them to the authorities!

Reply to Chelle
Posted by: cindy | 2004/11/04

NO we do not clock in and out. we are timed throughtout the day and given 10min toilet time in a 9 hour day. 1hour luch 2 15 min breaks and 10 min toilet time. So in 7 and a half hours that is spent working you can only use 10 min of that for the toilet.

Reply to cindy
Posted by: BEE | 2004/11/04

I'm curious. Do you have to "clock" in and out when you go to the toilet? How are you being timed?

Reply to BEE
Posted by: Kernel | 2004/11/04

What about "smoke breaks"?

Reply to Kernel