Question
Posted by: Toontjie | 2004/11/25

TOE NAIL FUNGAL INFECTION

Good day

I sent to see my doctor re a toe nail with a fungal infection. The doctor gave me a prescription for stuff that you paint on like cutex after filing the nail down - this however does not work.

She also mentioned that should it not work, she will give me a prescription for tablets, but it is not even worth my while to collect the prescription because apparently the tablets are so expensive, I won't be able to afford them (R800.00 for 3 months supply). My medical aid also does not cover them.

Is there any generic tabs or anything else more affordable that I can try ?

Expert ImagePharmacist

T,

The problem with fungal nail infections is that it some time to get better. How long have been on the nail paint treatment? You may need to continue this treatment for three to six months.
Tablets should be more effective than the nail pain, but as you said the price if pretty rough. If you are looking for something cheaper then you may ask your doc to prescribe Microcidal (or it's generic called Fulcin) but this may be less effective than some of the more expensive tablets (e.g. Lamisil). For fungal toenail infection, griseofulvin (the ingredient of microcidal) is used to prevent the fungus from spreading while the new toenail grows out, a process that can take at least a year.