Question
Posted by: ... | 2007/03/19

Todller nutrition

Hi please can you help me with a very active (more active than the normal), 2 year old diet.

A) - Full cream milk or Low fat milk
B) - Butter, marg or none
C) - What constitutes a grain/bread portion
D) - How important is red meat, considering he eats lots of fish and dairy, just not fond of red meat
E) Lamb or beef?

Thanks for you help

Dear Mom of Toddler
Click on 'Child' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition' and read the articles I have written on 'Diets for Toddlers' which tells you how much your child needs of each type of food. After the age of 2, toddlers can be switched to low-fat milk, they can have small quantities of poly- or monounsaturated margarine, 1 slice of bread is a bread portion, but the child may only eat half a slice at a time. Red meat is important because it is our best source of readily-available iron and vit B12 in the diet, so give him small portions regularly and you can use whatever type of red meat he likes.