Question
Posted by: Stephan | 2004/11/01

Toddlers perspiring problem

I have a 4 (soon to be 5) year old boy. From birth he has been a big boy and at almost 5 he weighs nearly 33kgs. He is very tall, about 1.2m. He looks like a normal 6-7 year old and is very active.

He sweats a lot, and it does not take a lot of activity for it to start. When he sleeps, it looks like he is lying in a wet spot and his head / hair is as wet as it would be after swimming.

This is a bit of a worry for me as it must be extreamly uncomfortable for him. What can I do or is there no need for me to worry about it.

Stephan, it doesn’t have to be something serious, but it might be due to something like a hypophysis problem, a thyroid problem, diabetes, etc. This is why the best would be to take him to a paediatrician and have him make sure that nothing serious is the matter. Good luck.