Question
Posted by: Jojo | 2007/05/08

Toddler with insomnia

Help - we're exhausted every day as my son who turned 2 last week just will not sleep properly. He is waking up at about 2am and only goes back to sleep about 4 or 5 am. He wakes up and wants to sing and play and generally thinks it's time to get up. We've tried to shout at him, tried lying in bed with him, but then he starts playing with our hair or tossing around. I've tried to just give him a bottle and walk out, but nothing is really helping. I was giving him Cathay Herbal "calm me down", but ran out of it and can't find anyone who stocks it in Durban. Is there any other remedy that we can use to break this habit. It's happening more and more frequently and I don't know if it's because he might be teething or just too much of an active mind.
Whatever it is we can't carry on like this as I'm also 16 weeks pregnant and utterly exhausted at work every day.
HELP!

Expert ImageNatural health

hi

Quintetude from Boiron is a herbal / homeopathic remedy to assist with sleeping.

Dr Debbie

4
Posted by: Echelle | 2007/05/10

you can go to this site, hope it helps!!!

www dot sleepnet dot com/children2000 dot html

Reply to Echelle
Posted by: Echelle | 2007/05/10

So you moved to Durban? Whenever something new like eg moving it is a very traumatic experience for a toddler. He had trouble sleeping in his cot like you say, but moved him to a bed that I think wasn't such a good idea. A bed is something new and why not wait until this problem is solved and then move him to a bed? Can you think of something that was different between Tuesday and Wednesday? Okay, it's great that he eats healthy, but still, it's possible that he doesn't get enough nutrients during te day. My son's GP (he's now 18 months) said that sometimes they are so busy that they don't get enough nutrients, so she said I must give him Nutren Activ (they can drink it from the age of 1) for some extra nutrients and I think if they don't get enough nutrients during the day it could be a reason for this, not always the main reason, but it can make the matter worse perhaps? I also think that 7pm or 7.30pm is to early, try changing bedtime to 8pm or evern 8.30pm. I changed that with my son when he didn't sleep well and WALLA, it changed for the better. There can be a lot of reasons for this and one needs to try everything, not for a day or two, but for 2 weeks atleast. Do you find that he sleeps well when he stays with you during the day or at the creche? 2,5 hours may be too much for a 2 year old. He is using that 2,5 hours to make up for the previous night's sleep that he missed out on I'd say...

Reply to Echelle
Posted by: Jojo | 2007/05/10

Hi, He doesn't eat sweets - doesn't like them. Stays at home 3 days a week and 2 days at creche. Sleeps about 2 1/2 at home, 1 1/2 at school. His routine is perfect. Supper about 5.30 pm - proper veggies and meat etc. No pudding. We have a warm (not hot) bath, then a few minutes to relax and has his milk bottle.
Then bed between 7 and 7.30 pm. He's moved to a bed in last month and it takes about an hour to convince him to stay in bed. But then all quiet by about 8/8.30.
However don't believe bed is the problem as he was just as bad waking up during the night in his cot.
My dad has insomnia, so do I. So I think it's partly heridity - active minds that just don't switch off properly.
Had one good night on Tuesday, but last night same thing again. Up at 2am and eventually got him down again by 3.45.
There must be something natural that I can give him to break this cycle.
I was giving him Cathay Herbal range - "calm me down" which worked really well. Gave it to him for a few weeks and then stopped and then he slept really well. But now started again after months of sleeping well. Since moving to Durban cannot find the range here and now getting desperate.

Help.

Reply to Jojo
Posted by: Echelle | 2007/05/10

The best way is to always stay calm and never shout at a child because he cannot sleep. Is he staying at a daycare centre or daycare mother where they perhaps let him sleep too much during the day? Does he eat a lot of things with sugar in it? Is he eating healthy foods? At what time does he go to bed?

Reply to Echelle