Question
Posted by: Odie | 2007/07/26

Toddler Sleeping Disorder

My name is Odette, I have a toddler of 2 years 7 months old and we are having endless problems with his sleeping pattern.

He attends a creche during the day from 7:30am to 6pm, the creche has told me that he has an hour nap everyday. After picking him up, we go straight home, cook dinner, he has a bath by +- 7pm (I feed him his dinner in the bath), after bathing he watches a movie or has some quality time with Mom and Dad.

I have tried to take him to bed at 9pm, but he will lay there for hours and not sleep, I have now made it 10pm but still the same problem, he will remain awake until after 12pm every night. You can only image how exhaused I am and how exhaused he must be as well. I have minimised his fizzy drinks intake as well as his sweets, but nothing seems to be helping. Please assist me, I am desperate.

Many Thanks

Odie

Dear Odie

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

Unfortunately, I have no clear advice on your predicament. I suggest that you consult a Paediatrician, in order for him/her to exclude any pathological reason.

I recommend that you remove all cafeine containing drinks/foods from his diet. This can be a start in addressing your problem.

Kind regards