Posted by: CJ2 | 2008/08/04

Toddler making me nuts

My toddler has Prader Willi Syndrome, which means that he' ll have behaviour problems. Well, I think it is starting, he drives me nuts and I did what the psychologist says, go to his level, try to talk to him. Nothing works and I end up hiding him, which is almost everyday now. I' m a single parent trying to cope with tantrums on a daily base, is there some medication on the market for me to help me " cope" . I' m at my wits-end and am totally confined to my flat as this child does not know how to behave at all! Please help.

This can indeed be extremely difficult to cope with. And though your frustration is entirely understandable, hidings just don't help at all, as well as being inadvisable for other reasons. I'd think you'd need to call the pediatrician or whoever made this uncommon diagnosis, to see if some medication can be advised to help calm his behaviour. Occupation and speech therapy can help, and caution is needed to avoid the child over-eating and becoming severaly obese