Question
Posted by: Debbie | 2012/01/12

Toddler fliying question too please

Hiya,
Although my 2.5yr old has flown as a baby with no problems, Im not sure now if it will be as easy.

I have already started telling her about the plane and although she doesnt really have a concept of what Im talking about, she is excited to fly.
She is an extremely busy little girl, and even though the flight is only 2 hours more or less, it could be very stressful for us and everyone else on the flight!

Should I give her something an hour before the flight to help her relax a bit? I am taking with her colour book and crayons and a doll and book for one the plane.
And also - would it be advisable to give her sweeties and cookies - or do you think that will make it worse? Was jsut thinking that might help if she is chewing while ascending and descending...

as you can clearly see - I am rather stressed about this... not even to mention navigating our way around alone at OR Tambo!
Thanks for the help!

Expert ImageTravel expert

Dear Debbie,
2 hour flight should be just right so don''t fret!
Certainly packing her own carry on bag with a few surprises as well as some of her favourite toys helps, Depending on her sleep pattern and time of day will govern wether she sleeps before flying and remains alert or sleeps on the plane. If she has flown before you should have few problems.
If it is SAA meal times are always exciting.Remember no hot drinks to be served around her!,
Dose of Ponstan prior to flying may be in order if she has had any recent ear infections or a cold. Otherweise I would not advocate any medication. Being a busy little thing means she will be interested in her surroundings.Take your push chair as carry on luggage and it will be there when yoiu disembark!

2
Posted by: cat | 2012/03/12

I have two sons, a 2,5 year old and a 4 year old. We have flown with them since they were babies and we have even done a 6 hour flight now. It really helps to have some activities they enjoy doing or if a portable dv player if your daughter likes to watch movies. It is also very exciting for them to get the " Kiddies snack boxes"  that most airlines offer. Most of all, don''t worry about the other people because if you feel stressed your daughter might react to that. Good luck.

Reply to cat
Posted by: Travel expert | 2012/01/23

Dear Debbie,

Reply to Travel expert