Question
Posted by: Lielie | 2004/11/25

Toddler constipation

I am really struggling to get my 3 year old son to eat healthy and take in a lot of fibre. If he skips his Weetbix in the morning, we have a terrible time getting his stomach going. The only fruit he wants to eat is apples and banana, and LOVES a sandwich with apricot jam. We tried giving him wholewheat bread, but then he wont eat lunch at all. He loves yoghurt and drinks alot of water. What alternatives for lunch and dinner can you suggest?

Dear Lielie
It is not necessary for every individual to have a bowel motion every day. So don't force your son to have a motion every day if his metabolism only provides for a motion every 2nd or 3rd day. Too much emphasis on bowel motions can cause psychological fixations. You can try giving him dried fruit as is, or boiled with honey. Children usually like eating boiled dried fruit, so this should do the trick. Click on 'Child' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition' and read all the articles on 'Diets for Toddlers' to give you additional information.