Question
Posted by: Rachael | 2005/12/02

to work for husband

I have a possible oppurtunity to work for my husband in the future and learn bookkeeping which is what I have always wanted. I know it is not always the best option to work with ones spouse but I have tried for years to get another job without any success. I am getting no where and my current job is so boring with no hope of improving. Is it worth the risk? I really want to learn a useful skill and I believe it will give me a better chance of getting a betterjob one day.

There can be advantages and disadvantages --- but right now, compared with no immediate better job prospects, it could work out for the better. Learning a new skill is always worth it and gains you improved chances of finding a better job later on. But as Frusty and others say, talk it over with him and set very clear ground rules about what you do and don't do, and how the job will work.

4
Posted by: Star | 2005/12/02

Just lay down the ground rules. I personally have tried it twice and it doesn't work for me. You never leave work at work and that is the problem. Also the fact that he has to treat you as an employee and when he corrects you on something you take it personally. Small things that can lead to big trouble. Set ground rules and ask him to be honest about your work and tell you from the start when something is not the way he likes it and to not let it mount.

And please leave work at the work. I found that we talked less cause where you use to talk about your day and what happened, you both allready know. On the other hand I know people who have been working together for 15 years already and make it work. Good luck on your new venture.

Reply to Star
Posted by: ... | 2005/12/02

It depends entirely on the relationship you have... what will play a big part as well is whether the environment is stressful... and also something to consider is ... why do you have to be working FOR your husband and not WITH your husband... (I suddenly realised that I am assuming your husband has his own company)... but if he hasn't and you will be working for him, and within another company... then it's going to be extremely difficult.. what you could possibly do is agree on a short term appointment so that you can gather as much knowledge as you need... and if things don't go well... you can get another job... but it takes lots of patience and committment...
you'd have to come to an agreement as to how to keep work and house separate... and how if he was your boss, you'd approach things when he didn't approve of something you were doing from a work perspective.. definitely not for the faint hearted......

Reply to ...
Posted by: lee | 2005/12/02

Sounds like a good opportunity to me!. I agree with frusty bout the ground rules and as long as you keep work work and try to not let it interfere with your personal lives and relationship i'm sure you will have a ball of a time working together. Wish I could work with my man! :)

Reply to lee
Posted by: Frusty | 2005/12/02

I think if you both want it and sit down and work out some ground rules, it will work. If your marriage is strong, then that will be a good starting point for working together. Good luck!

Reply to Frusty