to tired in the evening

Hi There

Im putting on alot of weight.The problem is im 22years old and party every weekend wich means i drink every weekend.I walk home from work every evening wich is about 4 to 5 kilm.I dont eat very much.When i come home im too tired to do exercise.Can you please help tell me how to cut on my alcohol intake.And what exercises to do.

Hi Anon

I suspect that your problem is related to a lack of routine that is affecting your diet more than your training. The problem when you're gaining weight is that your energy intake is greater than your output during the day. That is happening despite perhaps 40 minutes of walking a day, which suggests that your diet around this is the problem, not so much the exercise.

The alcohol is part of this, and so you do need to take steps to combat it. Discipline is obviously a big part of it, and in many respects, you kind of have to take a decision to stop or at least drink less. That's not a major commitment, and is perhaps the compromise between nothing and the current situation. Consider also drinking the light options, because the alcohol has a high caloric content, and that means you're taking in a whole lot of energy that you cannot afford to. So go light, and also drink less, replace the drinks with water - it's not a prerequisite when you go out.

In terms of exercise,you also need to make lifestyle choices. Perhaps you need to plan your day so that you don't walk, but rather jog home, just to increase your energy burned. Also, if you can commit to a lifestyle change, then you'll find the time. No one ever woke up and suddenly realised that they had a lot of time to train in. Rather, they have to commit to making that time, and that's really what you need.

So my advice is really that you find time, sit down with a daily planner and figure out where you might be able to get 30 minutes extra a day and then use that time for some exercise. But you also need to take control of your diet, including that alcohol intake.

Posted by: Kimmi | 2008/07/02

I agree with **Anon**.
But I just want to make it clear that losing weight requires effort, planning and a lifestyle change if you really want to lose weight and keep it off. I am 21 and realised that partying every week(end) really damages your health and body in general. I

do mauy thai 3 times a week, (mon, wed, fri evenings) including for an 1 and 1/2 on fridays from 6.30 - 8. by the time I'm done with that im so tired and feel so good that I dont WANT to go out. we also have a class on saturday moringings at 10 which keeps me from going out on fridays too. as a club, we go running on tuesdays and thursdays evenings aswell.

I find that working out in the evening with friends really motivates you to do it and therefore between that and varsity and my boyfriend I really dont have TIME (or the desire really) to go out and get trashed on a weekly basis.

you need to cut out some of the partying and hit the gym/road/bike/mountain...find some form of exercise that you're passionate about, which will keep you (more) motivated.

Reply to Kimmi
Posted by: **Anon** | 2008/07/02

I'm not an expert but I do know that alcohol is a BIG NO NO when trying to lose weight!!! And also you WILL NOT lose weight if you don't eat right (or not eat anything). You have to eat 5-6 small portions of healthy food a day to lose weight and be healthy. If you don't eat your body thinks your starving it so it keeps back water/fat and everything you do eat because it thinks it's not gonna get food again. SO to lose weight you have to eat drink plenty of water and excercise...
Hope this will help you a bit... and I would advise to stop drinking becoz it's empty calories...
only making you fat and broke haha

Reply to **Anon**