Posted by: raffi | 2008/12/17

to tell or not to tell

dearest CS i am sitting in a little predicament i' m bi polar and have borderline personality disorder but in the process of this i was raped and fell pregnant i then mutilated myself until i miscarried, my boss has asked me why i am so withdrawn and she does know i' m bi polar but she called me in the other day and spoke to me and asked me to seek professional help and try open up, i dont do that easily and for some reason i want to confide and maybe just explain things a little better to her in a letter, do you think this is wise or should i just not say anything and carry on my little destructive path which is cutting and burning myself sometimes i cant hold on till the evening and do it at work in the bathrooms i' m scared i do the wrong thing please help with any advice,

thanking you

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

It makes good sense, doesn't it, for you to seek professional help ? And if your troubles are affecting your work, it makes excellent sense for your boss to suggest this, too. I see no good reason for you not to see a good local shrink for a proper assessment and treatment, which could benefit you a lot.
Its usually not a good idea to share intimate details of your problems with your boss, especially not in writing, as this could later on cause some problems with holding down a job --- and she already sounds reasonably understanding and sympathetic. Amnd you are far more than sensible enough to know that carrying on cutting and burning is a lousy option, while treatment is a good option. Shrinks are able to make it easier for you to gradually open up to them, so don't use any sense of discomfort in talking about your problems be an excuse not to see a good professional. This is urgent, and could help you to feel much better much sooner. Imagine if someone else discovered you harming yourself in the toilets at work --- they'd freak out, and that wouldn't be helpful at all.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.