Question
Posted by: Annie | 2007/03/09

To much iron in my blood Hemochromatosis

I am 38 and had an iron blood test done. The blood test showed that I have to many iron in my blood. According to my house docter the normal iron level is between 13 and 150. Mine is 423.

Do I have hemochromatosis? Or was this test just done in time?

Dear Annie
You probably had this done in time - in women it only starts giving problems once you stop menstruation ( i.e. losing iron in the monthly blood). You probably will have to donate blood regularly to get the level down, do not take any iron containing supplements ( read the labels of the vitamin pills bottles!). I would strongly suggest that you test your iron level at least once a year.