Question
Posted by: Jo | 2007/06/15

To Mika re depressed in SA

SA might have a high crime rate, but think carefully before you uproot and move abroad, we moved to the UK last year, we even have family here which should have made things easier, but we've been desperately unhappy, it is phenomanally expensive here and we can't wait to move back.

There is crime everywhere, and for me the difference is that in SA, you can take precautions to protect yourself, you know how to alarm your house, drive with locked doors, it's common sense. Here the crime is far more thought out- it's not opportunistic, and it's a very scary type of crime. Paedophiles, kidnapping, identity theft, you can't protect yourself from being a victim of that.

Anyway, your situation is different, I'm sorry about your grandfather, but just make sure you're willing to loose everything that's familiar to you about your home and friends, your country, before moving. We made a very expensive mistake, but we are returning at the end of the year. Good luck with your decision.

,,,,,

2
Posted by: Jo | 2007/06/15

You've been a direct victim of the justice system, so I won't try to comment on it, I know it's bad! My folks live in JHB and were not racists before they moved there, but having been the victim of a few muggings, theft from their home by their gardener etc, it has turned them racist. I don't blame anyone for feeling like that when they've been a victim, and the crime in SA is the only thing that worries me about our return, but, it was a way of life once, we'll adjust back to it again. With God's help we'll be safe.

Reply to Jo
Posted by: mika | 2007/06/15

Jo, thanks for your comment. it is a difficult decision, although UK wouldn't be my first choice. (OZ or NZ maybe) The big issue for me actually, that is creating this turmoil ,is our justice system or lack thereof.

Reply to mika