Question
Posted by: Jay | 2004/01/09

To Kippie

Hi Kippie

I was nearing the end of my pregnancy when you found out you were pregnant and been following lot's of people's messages like you and Kate. I Hope all goes well. I read you message below and saw that you are going for a specialised sonar. Could you tell me why you are going and where you are going please? Did your doc refer you and if so why and if not, what made you decide to go.

The reason i would like to know is that i have since had my baby boy on 25th October (emergency c-section) and lost him 17 days later after a heart op. I would like to make sure that next time the same thing does not happen or that we are at least aware of a problem if there is one. With Reese, we had no idea that he had two holes in his heart as well as a complete interrupted aortic arch (apparently quite rare).
my Gynae's sonar showed nothing as the problem was literally inside the heart - the outside looked perfect.

Please could you give me the details of where you're going and if you could also let me know how your sonar goes too.

Many thanks and good luck

Jay

There are a number of people who have special training in Obstetric ultrasound. I don't know where you live, but your gynaecologist should be able to refer you appropriately.

2
Posted by: Jay | 2004/01/12

Thanks so much for the info. Yes, Hubby and I are going to start trying again probably from this month. We are extremely nervous so i really want to have that scan. I wish they had told me about it when i was pregnant so i could have had it done then and been more prepared for it.

I hope all goes well with your scan and please let me know how it goes. I could use help thinking positively and be shown that not all babies are born just to die.

Thanks again for the info and good luck
Jay

Reply to Jay
Posted by: Kippie | 2004/01/12

Hi Jay
All my sympathy with the loss of Reese! I am really sorry to hear this, it is so hard breaking to loose a child.....
My gynae referred me to dr Bridgette Jeffrey at the Pretoria East hospital for a nuchal scan at 12.5 weeks where they measure that neck fold to determine downs, this test together with your blood test should provide a 98% accurate figure. This was the first time that I;ve met dr Jeffrey and I was very impressed.
I will be seeing her at 22 weeks again (9 Feb) where they do a detailed scan, eg. check the growth of the legs/arms, check to see if the brain is the right proportions for the fetus size, no abnomilities, check the heart to count chambers and check the heart beat for abnomilities. Count the spine goodies to see if all are there, check the plasenta, internal organs etc. Although we have been warned that these test are not 100% accurate, they can pretty much pick up any major defects.
I know there is a doctor at the Eugene Marais hospital as well that my friend and other people have used - I will try and get her number for you as well.
Yes, back to Friday's sonar at 18.5 weeks - baby was lying legs closed again so we could not see the sex of the baby - I was very dissapointed and I cannot wait for the scan at 22 w.

Jay, are you going to try to fall pregnant soon again?
Will be thinking of you and please let me know if there is anything I can help out with!!

Take care!

Reply to Kippie