Question
Posted by: A | 2004/12/14

To Jemma

I read your posting about step-parenting. Please correct me if I've got some of the facts wrong (my afrikaans is not the good):
You 've been a "step mommy"to 2 boys for 6 yrs. You find it difficult to like these boys - is it because they are spoilt? You have no children from a previous marriage. Do you have a child with your current husband?

I find your posting very interesting cos my b/f of 2 yrs has a child of 8 yrs. I believe that she is a nice girl but because both her parents spoilt her and give her everything she wants (she still has not been punished for anything)- she can be very unpleasant and rude. When we are alone - I get on fine with her (maybe cos she knows that she can't play me) but as soon as shes around her father - she is annoying to be around. This has put alot of strain on our relationship. So my question at lasts is - how do you handle it all? Any tips?

....

1
Posted by: Jemma | 2004/12/14

Yes, I think the reason I don't like them at times is because they just expect me and my husband to do everything for them. And it also upsets me that they won't try this at their mother's house because she does not take it but it is expected of me to put up with it.

My husband and I don't have children together so I have no children and that also makes it difficult.

I don't have any tips to make it easier but I think what would help is if there would be a set of rules in your house and the child/children must live by them. But again it is very difficult yo keep by the rules if they only visit once every 2 weeks. I also want to be a cool step-mother and don't want to ask and demand and mone ever 5 minutes.

Ag, I don't know what to say. It's very difficult to marry a man with children but as I say, it is all worth it because my husband is the greatest man alive. You know, in 4 years time the youngest will also be out of school and hopefully we will have less troubles.

Good luck.

Reply to Jemma