Question
Posted by: Shazz | 2008/06/20

To Health24 Administrators

Guys

I think you should make it clear to subscribers as you do with eg the subject line: (Please be as descriptive as possiible within 8-10 words): that Cybershrink is here to deal with psychiatric issues, and not just your everyday relationship issues and such.

Not that these arent' real big issues causing havoc in a lot of lives, but if this forum is going to work and the Cybershrink is to concentrate on the reason he was invited to be on this forum, psychiatric advice and guidance, you need to be clear.

Maybe say something like issues causing you mental confusion like bipolar disorder, phobias, mania, cutting, cleptomania, subjecting yourself to mental and physical abuse etc. are the issues that the CS will deal with.

In addition, it may not be a bad idea to add a relationship section, seeing that a lot of queries going to CS are relationship-related.

Just my thoughts.

And guys out there, we should also ALL be sensitive to what the CS is going through. Ubuntu is not just for a certain shade of South Africa. Practise your Ubuntu and be considerate while the CS is going through this terrible ordeal with his mother's illness.

Regards and love to all.

If indeed someone advertised this forum as a place to come to chat about relationship issues, then (a) they were a fool, and (b) they did so without proper authority and without having the simple courtesy to discuss this with me.
In fact, I was notified some time ago, though without due follow-through, that there was a relationship person ( wlaifications unknown to me ) starting up on I think Woman24, and it was suggested that just as they would be asked to refer significant psychiatric questions to this forum, I would be given a facility to refer purely relationship issues to that forum.
I think the distinction that would be most useful would be to include serious relationship problems within my ambit, but to save me from the lovers squabbles, Lerv and dating problems, "What does my bf mean when he says X?" , "my BF doesnt SMS me often enough" type of problem --- yes indeed, obviously of major concern to that individual ( though it shows a total inability to either see things in proportion ( they have presumably led an absurdly problem-free and happy life so far ) and am extreme inability to solve their personal problems. But they're not likely to die of that.

4
Posted by: John | 2008/06/20

If I may: I've been an itinerant visitor for many years, going all the way back to 2002 or 2003 (so I'm probably not the oldest and I predate almost, but not quite, everybody). Having established my credentials thus, I will presume to say the the Johnny-come-latelies always think they have had a flash of inspiration or a revolutionary idea that no-one else has ever thought of. Sadly, or maybe gladly, thats not true. What needs to be learned and understood is that the forum is organic and that it is shaped not by policy, nor by mandate, nor by decree but rather by the current crop of posters and what bothers them. Like democracy, almost, if you get my little stretch of imagination. More interestingly, I think that this forum is a microcosm of our literate society and reflects our society in the things that people write in about: money, fidelity, sexuality, equality, depression and what ever other angst you may care to offer. The forum is materially different to what it was a year ago and is probably different to what it will be a year from now. This is a good thing. Some time back I suggested to the CS that he provide a FAQ so that newbies do not traverse ground well traveled already. But maybe he should leave it as it is as any kind of filtering, well-intentioned as it may be, will deprive us of some meaningful insight into the shifting nuances of our ever-changing pool of posters. Maria is the current 'lay' - no, man, not that lay - expert, a tribute and title she richly deserves. Most recently, before her we had Chelle and, no doubt, we'll have someone else in the future when she chooses to hand over the baton. This is the way it is and should be.

Reply to John
Posted by: Admin | 2008/06/20

Thank you for your suggestions.

As an open forum we prefer not to prescribe to users what does and doesn't constitute unhappiness and distress - something that may seem simple to us may be huge and insurmountable to someone else.

Most importantly, we never want to create a patronising atmosphere that makes people feel uncomfortable about posting for advice.

Reply to Admin
Posted by: Maria | 2008/06/20

A few weeks ago, H24 was actually advertising this forum as a place where you can come for advice on your relationship issues, so I think they like the way things are.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Gentle Voice Of Reason(GVOR) | 2008/06/20

I agree with restricting the topics that are posted on this forum, but Im not sure if what you say makes complete sense. Yes a psychiatrist is meant to deal with psychatric issues but I think relationship issues if not dealt with or if it doesnt get resolved through counseling or talking to someone, such as on a forum of this nature, then it might well lead to psychiatric conditions like depression,cutting, cleptomania, which are some of the examples you mention and Im sure there are more. Why dont we let CS resond and decide this one. Like I said I do agree that the postings are a bit ridiculous at times and its not fair on CS to expect him to answer these, especially since he is also going through a difficult time with his Mom right now.I hope he sees this one so he can give us some clarity

Reply to Gentle Voice Of Reason(GVOR)