Question
Posted by: Rucell | 2004/10/28

To Golly -endometrioma cyst

Hi Golly

I had a cyst removed on my ovaries 4 months ago and it was 23cm long. We are TTC since then and nothing.

Last month the period pains were not like normal constant pain but it felt like some one is stikking a knife in me at times. since then i have lower back pain and i started my peiod yesterday and the back pain were very bad and it went into my upper legs.

Can you please tell me more about endometrioma cyst as i think it might be it?

Thank you for your help!!!!!!!

Four months is a short timee to try to conceive. It can take up to a year before this happens.
Period pains are a symptom of endometriosis, but I'm sure that your doctor would have mentioned it if this was the case.

3
Posted by: Golly | 2004/10/29

Rucell,

Maybe the doc referred to it as a cyst, but it was actually a fibroid growth or something. I think is is quite unlikely that you have endo, but your discomfort may have been caused by adhesions that developed after the operation.

Also remember that it takes time to fall pregnant (up to a year) even if you fell pregnant easily the first time. It may be too early to worry. You could also wait to see if the symptomps repeat themselves this next month and if they do, you have some certainty that is was not just a once-off.

Try not to worry - if it persists see the doc. Good luck!

Reply to Golly
Posted by: Rucell | 2004/10/28

It was 23 cm long and my gynea seemed worried and i had to go in to hopital the following day so he could removed it. As far as i know it was on the outside of the ovaries because i could see it clearly on the sonar. I almost tought that it was a baby because it was as big as when i was pregnant with my first child. This only started when my son was born 2 years ago.

Reply to Rucell
Posted by: Golly | 2004/10/28

Rucell,

What kind of cyst was removed? Was it 2.3 cm or 23cm as the latter is enormous?

I had a chocolate cyst on my one ovary due to endometrioses. It was 2-3 cm in diameter and the cyst was filled with old blood that is dark brown in colour (hence the name "chocolate cyst"). The only way the doc found out was by laparoscopy. It was only after the op that I read up on the symptomps of endometrioses (I was diagnosed with stage 3 endo) and discovered that my symptoms were indicative of endometrioses and the adhesions and cyst which result from it. Such a cyst interferes with the normal hormone production from your ovaries and also ovulation. This is thought to be a main cause of infertility among endo sufferers. Apparently, removal of the cyst also affects the ovary and although all the functions return to normal, the affected ovary may produce poorer quality eggs than a healthy ovary. Any surgical procedure also carries the risk of adhesions forming in the abdominal cavity which may also interfere with ovulation and tubal functions.

If you have endo or that was the cause of your previous cyst, it is possible that it may have returned. If you notice any deviations from your normal cycle, you should go to a gynae and discuss your history and condition. The gynae should take your concerns seriously. If he/she does not (and tells you to come back after x months), you may need to find a second opinion. It can be very frustrating ttc while there may be some physical reason for not conceiving.

Hope this helps. I am not a docter and can only tell you about my experience with the endo cyst. Good luck - I hope you find some answers to your condition.

Reply to Golly