Question
Posted by: KITTY | 2007/08/08

TO: FIT FANATIC

Hi there.

Seems to me you know a bit about training. You don't perhaps know where I can get in contact with people who train together everyday to run. I am running at my own pace at the moment (i began in February, and I'm up to 4 km's, doesn't sound like much, but to me at this point it is), and doing my own thing, but I'd like so much to do it with people who can push you to were you can't push yourself. And to do some extra stretching and strenght training.

Kit

Hi Kitty

Not Fit Fanatic, just Fitness Doc, I'm afraid...!! It depends where you are. I'm in Cape Town, so I can only really speak for the area where I live, so perhaps I can give you some generic advice. Most running clubs in Cape Town offer a minimum of two club runs a week, with most doing three. ANd then some runs on weekends. They meet at the club and then divide into groups who go out and run at different speeds. For example, I know a club in constantia who run every evening and have about 6 different speed groups going out. The difficulty is times - some go about 5h30, others at 6 - it's not standard so you would have to contact the individual club.

Another option is run/walk for Life, who are focused quite a lot more on newer runners, and may be more suitable for you given your new entry into the sport.

A final option is to look at gyms, because a lot of people join the gym with the intention of meeting people, doing their strength training and still meeting to go for runs outside. So if there is a gym near you, that's a place to look. All this depends on where you are based, so I'm guessing a little here...sorry.

Ross

2
Posted by: FitFanatic | 2007/08/13

Hi Kitty

Sorry for the delay, long weekend you know :-)

Yes, there are many run/walk clubs you can join. Check out the local gyms and also ask around. You're friends might have heard of something.

Jog along
FitFanatic

Reply to FitFanatic
Posted by: kitty | 2007/08/10

Thanks alot.

I will check out the run/walk for life idea, sounds like a good option.

Kit

Reply to kitty