Question
Posted by: Confused | 2007/12/11

To eat or not to eat?

Dear Doc,

By now my head is really in a spin. What is in your opinion the best? To eat 6 times a day as some people claim, stick to 3 meals a day or eat when you are hungry?

I am 26 years old, 1.72m and weigh 77kg. When eating 6 times a day, it feels like I am putting on weight like a speed train. Where does the weight loss come in? I can easily go through a day, just eating in the morning (sometimes) and at night. But is one meal (balanced) healthy? When I was in college 5 years ago, I lost the most weight. But that was also the case of eating one meal a day. I was in the hostel, ate breakfast, we did not get lunch, and sometimes I would eat in the evenings - if the food looked ok. Then my weight was 65kg. And I felt good.

I don't know what to do now, must I eat more times a day or must I eat less? Please advise.....

P.S. There is this diet on the Internet - Fat loss for idiots - the reviews are great. Have you heard about it? Also talks about eating 4 times a day. See, :o) there it is again - 1,3,4,6?

*Confused*

Dear Confused
Research has shown that people who 'nibble' at 6 small, low-fat meals a day, tend to lose more weight than people who 'gorge' on 3 larger meals a day. If you however, find that using 6 small meals a day does not work for you then by all means, switch to 3 balanced meals a day. You can try eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increasing your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life). I have not yet checked out the Fat Loss for Idiots diet, but you can judge the diet for yourself: a) if the diet contains all the food groups b) if it is not too low in energy. If you need to cut out whole food groups (esp carbohydrates) or if the diet is very low in energy then it is not sensible and well balanced. The idea is to find a regimen that works for you.
Good luck with the diet you choose