Question
Posted by: CP Mom | 2005/12/12

TO : CS : "Skallagrigg" : The Book

Over 700 pages - read it in 1 week.

I've learnt a couple of things regarding cp's ie.

1.) Girls menstruate later in life than "normal" girls (dankie tog! this was a great concern)

2.) That you should just not listen to the muddled words coming out their mouths but the eyes and hands etc. You see cp's have an ability to understand each other where us "normal" people cannot understand them because they LISTEN differently.

But in general this book's about;

1920 when kids were abused, thrown into a cot and left. If you were disabled you were retarded and an idiot.

They never saw the outside word. They soon learnt if they want to be treated nicely they had to become sick coz in the infirmary they were taken on daily walks etc.

How it became clear that although they have disabled bodies they have 100% normal iq's etc.

The visitors were not allowed in the wards coz it stank of urine and poo they were left to lie in it for long times, the visitors saw them in a lovely room with flowers etc.

The “dilke” would abuse these kids sexually and also physically by hitting them on their disabled legs with the window-stick-opener etc.

The computer game written by the main character I found EXTREMELY boring and it takes up half the book. The lingo is not understandable and very difficult I pages through that and did not miss anything to do with the story.

If I knew what I knew today I’d really not have bothered to buy the book, if I happened to get to read it, yeah sure, but not spend time running around and paying to buy it.

Also if maybe you are a CP (like ADULT CP) which is this “type of person” if I may put it like that it might be more useful I just find that most books on CP and even TV programs being on TV3 what’s that woman who always talks to people? And others always concentrate on the cp’s with 100 normal brain function intellectually and not for the one’s like Charne.

That’s my feel on it…..oh by the way if you don’t want to know what "skallagrigg" means then don’t read further…..

.......
......
.....
....
...
..
.

The main character has a twin and he use to call him skallagrigg because that’s how he pronounced: "scallywag"!

Very disappointing to me who needs to know more about CP's that are not intelectually NORMAL.

,,,,,

6
Posted by: CP | 2005/12/12

USUALLY it's a lack of oxygen to the brain during birth or before

In Nè's case a failed abortion attempt by her biological mother.

Reply to CP
Posted by: aaa | 2005/12/12

I see...

Sorry for asking but do you know what was the cause?

Reply to aaa
Posted by: CP Mom | 2005/12/12

In the good old days they called it to be :

S P A S T I C

You know the kids that aim for their mouth but stick the spoon in their eye ? That joke ? It's not a nice joke but it's the easiest way to explain.

Hope you understand now.

You get a lot of different cp's ne's effected on her right side only.

Speach is handled by the left side of your brain so her speech is effected.

Reply to CP Mom
Posted by: Um.... | 2005/12/12

Cerebral Palsy, CP Moms daughter suffers from it

Reply to Um....
Posted by: aaa | 2005/12/12

Oh ok, thank you. I'll do some reading up on what it is.

Reply to aaa
Posted by: aaa | 2005/12/12

Excuse please but what exactly is "CP" ?

Reply to aaa