Question
Posted by: J | 2004/10/01

To CS - Hospitilisation

Hi CS
I have a question which I have meant to ask for a while now.About two years ago I was hospitalised for depression and substance abuse.It was a learning experience for me.However,
after being released from hospital, it felt as if though my condition worsened.
I was indulging in alcohol more than before I was admitted.Resulting in augmented depression, etc.I also went off my medication.
What could have been the possible reason for this?
Was I not able to cope with what I discovered about myself during hospitilisation?

Well, I eventually picked myself up, without going back on to meds or seeing a shrink.Thanks to my hubby.

Thanks for your advice and have a great day!

J, it's hard to tell. Sometimes people seem to take longer to open up and start making those new discoveries, during a hospitalisation, so these occur shortly before planned discharge, and then unless their shrink is wise ( and not all are !) and plans for close outpatient followup afterwards, there they are, still bioling with uncomfortable new discoveries, and without the accesability of the shrink to help them finish working through these issues.
And if, as it sounds, you were abusing the alcohol right through that phase, it wouldn't have helped you at all, and worsened the depression, as you say. Depending on what it is one discovers, some are "Aha !" and easy to assimilate and use ; others require much mulling over, sometimes uncomfortably, before one can finish understanding such issues, and can then file them away correctly.
Congratulations to you both on how well you have managed to pick yourself up, wioth your hubby's help
And Bull's theory is an excellent one. I always find it's wise, even when I can see early on exactly what someone in therapy needs to do, to help them discover that and draw the right onclusions themselves, if this is at all possible, as they're far more likely to follow what feels like their own iscovery, than one that feels as if it's been mine !

1
Posted by: Bull | 2004/10/01

Interesting question J. My father also went to a rehab clinic for alchol abuse and was clean for 2 or 3 weeks after he came out of the clinic.

His drinking was even worse than before and about 1 year later, he just stopped drinking completely.

It's 9 years now and he has not falled back and we are not even worried about him because we know that will NEVER happen again.

Perhaps the abuser feels that he or she will do this on his own time and will show everyone that they can not be pushed into something that they are not ready for.

Whatever the case my be, I am just very happy for you and my father that you got over your demons.

Reply to Bull