Question
Posted by: Beyond Tired | 2004/10/11

To CS

Hi CS,
Managed to get the article, will read it, someone else pulled it for me.

Yes, the alcohol is not helping, I agree and have made an effort to stop but it is not working, go days without and then binge, have far too much. My family upset me yesterday so when I drank I overdid it, no excuse I know but it temporarily did make me feel better. My doc also said to use it currently as a self-medication until they could sort out the tabs, however today after reading some things and finding out stuff, I have decided I have to stop and thus am going to try even harder, it is just not easy and now fortunately in a strange way there are aslo no more other tablets in my house and I won't get any others, no even over the counter. I have asked the bf and the other boarder that if they have any tablets to lock them away and to please try to help me. Also asked bf, told him that I do not want to drink and he really needs to help me as he promised he would in the beginning, no more alcohol in my house........let's see...

Isn't it interesting that these things, like a drinking binge, which we say "did make me feel better", often don't make us DO better, and usually end up in us feeling worse ? It's an odd sort of better, a sort of temporary relief from one sort of unpleasant feeling, that too rapidly substitutes another sort of horrid. The temporary relief seems to lead, as Trio reports, to self-hate, and to further need for relief.

1
Posted by: Trio | 2004/10/11

Hi Beyond Tired!

I wonder if you shouldn't consider going for rehab? I am only asking because I know it worked for me in the end. Following a very traumatic divorce, I used to drink far too much, stop for days or weeks, then binge and hate myself, pour out the alcohol in the sink only to go buy more the next day, stop again for a time; an endless cycle. I firmly believed I could kick the habit on my own. No luck. Eventually, and reluctantly, I booked myself into a rehab clinic. I was the greatest gift I ever gave myself. I have been sober now for three years, and my life has never been better. Just a thought....

Reply to Trio