Question
Posted by: Just married | 2004/10/06

To confused - will I be involved

Confused , you've been through a similar experience.i need to ask you . Can the court request that you move into a smaller house for instance or change your car to a less expensive one if they feel that the money you take home is not enough to cover the maintanance amount claimed against you ?

Sounds like good advice, based on real experience, from Confused ( who doesn't sound in the LEAST bit confused !).

3
Posted by: Confused | 2004/10/06

Also if possible try getting custody of the child because it looks like she cannot afford that herself, then I suppossed then you can used both your salary

At time we woman can make our childrens life a liveing hell just trying to get back at our ex's hope we one day realise if its over let it be between us and not involve the children, they suffer more than us

Reply to Confused
Posted by: Confused | 2004/10/06

Reply to Confused
Posted by: Confused | 2004/10/06

What happend in my case my husband went to court alone, as I explained he wrote down his expenses down and how much he can afford for the child. his take home alone then was 9000. the ex demanded that he pays 2000, but after them looking into his expenses per month and taking into considerationthat he has other kids that he supports and a family they agreed that he pays 1200.

In your case your hubby earns far less, he must draw up the expense list like
car repayment, croceries, rent/bond, services, school fees for other kids if there are any, (policies not a good idea if they are not for life/annuities, if you have a lot of endowment do not mention them) . he must suggest upfront how much he can afford,

If the ex is taking the child to private schools ( they are expensive, your hubby must question that, there are cheaper schools or day cares, I am not saying he must not give his child good eduation but these days thing are expensive, if possible he must talk to the ex and explain to her his situation. Also he must demand to see what the ex is going to spend the money on like, (if the kid is older than 6yrs she does not eat her separete diet, she now eat what the mother eats , so for groceries she can share with her mother except for goodies)

This is how the break down should look like from his side

200 food
150 educational policy
300 school fees
300 clothes (300 x 12 = 3600)
100 entertainment
include her on your medical aid

DO NOT FORGET THE VISITATION RIGHTS

she must also have some thing like this

Guys I do not know about the issue of taking both salaries into account, am talking from my own personal experience

Hope I helpled

Reply to Confused