Question
Posted by: heidi | 2007/05/19

to Chill, re: DM

Thank you for your previous reply Chill. My current problem with my dog is dragging. The forequarters are still strong and the dog lively, so the tops of the hind feet are scraped raw in several patches, and now even one knee is a bit grazed, so this is where pain comes in. Of course I put on plasters, dressings, adhesive bandages, but as you know, dogs pull such things off. I have to re-do it daily but in the short gap of time before I notice the bandages are off, the partly-healed wounds are opened again. The dog now whines quite a lot, in frustration I think, and seeming to want help moving, so I do help. I lift the hindquarters so he can run on his forelegs, so he can move from one place to another in the garden, but if there's something worth barking at, at the gate, he doesn't ask for help but just drags there at high speed over grass, sand, stone, anything.

I missed the earlier listing. What happened to hyour dog? Carts are available for dogs with hind limg paresis/paralysis.

1
Posted by: Chill | 2007/05/21

Poor dog - at least, though, it proves that his spirit is intact and that he's not in pain from the actual condition.

You'll have seen that his forequarters will actually have increased in size as he's had to use them to propel himself - fitness training in action.

I understand about the scrape wounds, and my best advice is to see if you can't invent some sort of leather covering to go over the dressings, to protect him from further scrapes. Maybe you can get some leather offcuts, and punch holes in them and lace them up - you can always use padding inside them until they fit snugly - a bit of fiddling with the shapes and you should be able to get something to fit - in need, perhaps someone with some dressmaking or toymaking experience may be able to help by cutting a 'pattern' for you. I'm thinking here perhaps of someone who makes teddy bears, for example - it shouldn't be too difficult to adapt a leg pattern to fit a dog - if you succeed in this, just remember to make it big enough to accommodate some padding, and long enough so that you can secure it firmly but not tightly around the leg..

This site shows an idea for a design - I'm not sure it would be entirely suitable, but it's a start: www followed by sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=56352

Here's another picture: www and then: .amazon.com/XX-SMALL-Guardian-Gear-Leather-Boots/dp/B000KT2O82

Actually, just paste the following into google, there are quite a few interesting sites: dog feet protect boot leather

As a matter of interest: the carts you originally asked about aren't, I believe, intended to make the dog mobile under all conditions - my understanding is that they'd have to be used under supervision at all times, because of course if the cart falls over, the dog would be completely incapacitated.

Reply to Chill