Question
Posted by: Wendy | 2004/03/12

To all the preggie ladies - what about ham and salami?

Hey ladies

I've looked through all the literature I can find on foods you aren't aloud to eat during pregnancy so know about the cheeses, eggs, pates and meats story but does anyone know if cold meats like cooked ham, smoked ham and salami are forbidden. I know parma ham is not aloud because its uncooked but not sure about the rest. I assume it must be ok since I can't find anything that says otherwise.

Any ideas?

These meats are cured, so are safe. I agree with Philosophy. One cannot protect oneself against everything. It is probably more dangerous to be in a car while pregnant than to eat the occasional bit of soft cheese.

Best wsihes

2
Posted by: Kate | 2004/03/12

What can I say???

They say processed meats are bad for you and the doctor who delivered my stillborn baby moaned at me for eating take-out, processed meats such as ham etc. I had no idea ham wasn't allowed but I will most certainly be careful next time.

I agree that you have to carry on with life and pregnancy cannot stop you from enjoying foods etc. But I feel that you have to educate yourself as much as possible as to the dangers certain foods contain. It is you decision whether you eat the or not.

Reply to Kate
Posted by: philosophy | 2004/03/12

Cooked Ham and salami are not raw, neither do they contain bacterias such as those contained in soft cheeses etc, so I cannot for the life of me imagine why you shouldn't be able to eat them.

To be very honest with you - I think that save for the few obvious no-no's (like alcohol and sushi etc), you really should be able to still eat everything in moderation. Don't make your life a completely unenjoyable place to be because you are pregnant. You're supposed to enjoy this journey. I personally believe that we've become so overly careful that many people do not want to have children because of the fact that pregnancy sounds like a terrible encounter that has to be endured in stead of an amazing trip to bringing life into this world.

Enjoy your ham & salami sandwich and enjoy your pregnancy.

Reply to philosophy