Question
Posted by: Daisy | 2008/01/15

tmj or ear infection??

Hi! I am having a horrible ear ache, but went to an urgent care facility on Saturday (after having the pain for 5-6 days), and he said that teh pain was from TMJ, not an ear infection. What can I do for the pain? He did not tell me anything, and the pain is excrutiating!! I can barely stand it! I really do not know what to do at this point. Every time I yawn, my ear (it doesn't feel like my jaw) pops, and I can hear sounds taht sound distant for a couple of seconds, and then my ears clog up again. It has now been over a week, and still the same. I am on a soft food diet. My ears are killing me, and anytime air goes near them I flinch. I have cotton in both ears. I am taking 600 mg Ibuprofen every 6 hours, and 550 mg Naroxen Sodium every 12 hours. Nothing works. I am also using a rice bag for heat, which does help some. I work at a day care with 2 year olds, but when they start screaming, the pain is worse. I do notice when I open my mouth wide, there is a lot of clicking and popping in the actual jaw, but when I yawn it is in my ear. I don't know what to do. I need immediate relief!!

Dear Daisy
I know this sound funny but see your dentist to see if you need an urgent referral to an Maxillo facial specialist. Physiotherapy may also give relief.
dr Bets

1
Posted by: Tinkerbell | 2008/09/09

My throat and ears are extremely sore and it kind a feels raw. When i swallow, my ears hurt even more... i have a constant ear ache. My throat feels thick and its burning. I have quite a nasal drip as well... I use medi-keel, Pollentyme, Nurofen Cold and Flu, but its not working. This is now about a week. I can still handle the sore throat, but not the ears..

Reply to Tinkerbell