Question
Posted by: Chelle | 2004/09/23

Tiring

Dear Cybershrink

Thanks so much for your help so far. I am very appreciative. I have been trying to help on the forum too, and give advice where I can. I have noticed that reading about everyone's pains and trials is very exhausting, and actually brings me down sometimes. I definitely am not cut out to do counseling. I find myself dreaming about people on this forum, and being worried about them. Also one post of suicide today just brought me down to a terrible level. I have to learn to distance myself somehow, but how do I do that?
I think I might just take a break reading the posts for a little while. It might help me. It's not that I don't care at all. I just don't know how to care without this affecting me!

I know, Chelle, you're not talking about caring too little, but the pain that comes of caring too much. It's an occupational hazard for shrinks, and one of the things that does make the job hard. Have a nice break, and we look forward to hearing from you when you next feel like it ; you're always helpful and good to hear from.