Question
Posted by: Mary-Ann | 2005/12/01

Tiredness, feeling tardy, no energy

A underactive thyroid was identified a couple of years ago and is controlled by Eltroxin. I had blood tests earlier this year which indicated that all is well except for a low testosterone count. According to the doctor it cannot be treated, because I am a woman. I do get about 6 hours sleep a night. Some days I feel as though all my energy is slowly disappearing out of my system. Because of that I want to eat in order to compensate for the lack of energy. Sometimes It feels like the tiredness is too much for me to cope with. I wonder if the tiredness is due to the low testosterone count.

Dear Mary-Ann,
Low testosterone usually causes more of a low sexdrive than extreme tiredness. It sounds to me as if you don't sleep well and that could cause depression which could present just with a very tired feeling. Ask your doctor to prescribe something to help you sleep for a week or two, start exercising - although you feel tired, it will actually give you more energy ( walking 30 min a day will be ok). Try and eat healthy and drink 8 glasses of water per day. Cut out caffeine. If you feel depressed ask your GP to prescribe something to help - it is sometimes due to an abnormal serotonin level in the brain.

1
Posted by: wendy | 2005/12/01

Hallo Mary-Ann

Have you had your blood glucose level checked lately? I am reading a book called the Sugar Key and it is very informative. You dont necessarily have to have high blood sugar but an unstable blood sugar, which will make you feel very tired no matter how much sleep you get. You dont mention if you are depressed or not. Depression can also make you feel washed out and constantly tired.

Hope you find the problem soon.

Reply to wendy