Question
Posted by: Maxi | 2004/01/13

Tiredness & cramps

I am 9 weeks pregnant tomorrow and is constantly tired. I am taking Pregnavit M and thought in about a weeks I should start feeling more energetic. NOTHING. I've tried fruits, water, eating small, regular meals, but nothing helps. Any advice would be very welcome. According to my husband I am pretending!
Also, I have been having constant cramps. Especially when I am drinking water. I have noticed that drinking clean water I also tend to still get very nauseous. Any advice on this?

I'm afraid that the tiredness is part of pregnany. It is related to pregnanct hormones.
Nausea is also one of the symptoms of pregnancy. You will have to experiment to find out what agrees with you and what does not.

6
Posted by: Kate | 2004/01/14

Tell you husband tio S H U T U P! Tiredness is very realy during the first couple of weeks and I couldn't even lift my head up sometimes. Good suggestion by Purple regarding Fab Dad. It is great book although my husband tells me what to eat etc as after reading it thinks he knows a whole lot more and can tell me what to do some of the time!

Drinking water may aggreviate the nausea, I find at 32 weeks it aggreviates my heartburn too! Stop taking the Pregnavit, the increase in iron adds to the nausea and you don't need it at this stage. Just make sur eyou take folic acid and resume the Pregnavit after 12 weeks or so. I did this with my Doctor's advice.

Best of luck, sleep as much as you can or want to and don't listen to anyone who makes you feel bad about it. This is your body and your pregnancy, only you will know exaclty what you need.

Reply to Kate
Posted by: Purple | 2004/01/14

The book "Fab Dad" will be a good read for your husband. Its written in a humorous way, and he'll be a lot more understanding after reading it. (My husbands attitude improved dramatically after reading it).
The tiredness is normal for the first trimester, so is the nausea.
What helps with nausea is always making sure that your stomach has something in it - so try eating a small bland meal every 2 hours. Ginger also helps - ginger ale, or buy the root, grate some and pour boiling water over it to make a tea.
Taking Essentiale also helps (though I found that after 2 days it didn't help anymore). If the nausea gets very bad, ask your gynae for some vomifene. It isn't brilliant, but does take the edge of your nausea, even if it doesn't take it away completely.
For the tiredness - sleeping helps.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: Kippie | 2004/01/13

Hi there ladies
I am now 19 weeks and I have been constantly asleep and hibernating until 13 weeks. Could not keep my eyes open, day or night.
So tell hubbies that this is part of the reality of being pregnant, and much more is to come - so I suggest that you use Norma['s comment and get them to read up a bit....
Im a alot better on the constant sleeping, but find that I do not have the world of energy at the moment.
Take care and let us know how those babies are growing!!

Reply to Kippie
Posted by: Norma | 2004/01/13

I'm 12weeks pregnant, and the good news is that the tiredness is not that bad anymore. I was very lucky, did'nt have any morning sickness....
I know what you mean, the only thing you can do is sleep, sleep, sleep, and get your hubby a book on pregnancy. The "Your Pregnancy" is also a very helpfull magazine, let him read it with you, and maybe he will understand.
He must just understand that this tiredness is no game...... you just cant help it.
Good luck, rest, sleep and inform your hubby of what's going on in you body.

Reply to Norma
Posted by: Belle | 2004/01/13

When I was pregnant I was just as tired and often did not make it past 6pm before falling asleep. Not much can be done about it just get alot of rest. Remember the baby is growing at a rapid rate and is taking alot out of your body. Try not to wait until you are thirsty to drink water. If you do then you drink alot all at once and get nauseous. Keep a glass of water nearby and take a sip every now and then even if you are not thirsty. I read in an article that if you wait until you feel thirsty then you are actually dehydrating already.

Reply to Belle
Posted by: Marlene | 2004/01/13

Hi Maxi

I'm 7 weeks pregnant, and the nauseous kicked in now, I also find that when I drink water or try to drink water that I'm gonna bring it all out again. I also feel very tired round about 2 in the afternoon's, I go to bed early cause I can't keep my eyes open. It is normal to feel tired when your pregnant, hopefully you'll feel beter soon.

Good Luck!!!

Reply to Marlene